What Next After Completing Graduation in US

Have you completed your graduation? Mazel tov! You are now armed with a fabulous degree, self-confidence, and ready to face the world as an adult. Many options are open for students depending on various factors such as needs, wishes, and career goals. But if you are a student who has come to the US for education, you must think how to get a work permit in the USA if you are considering staying back in the country after completing your degree.

What Next After Completing Graduation in US

The decision what you are planning to do next is essential for your career and future. There are a couple of options open for international students, but before that, the first question that arises “can you work with a student visa?” Read on the following paragraphs to dig deeper into each of the below-mentioned options:

  • Find a job and get your H1B visa
  • Apply for Master’s or PhD program in the US
  • Return to your homeland

Want To Take Up a Job Post Graduation?

Fix Your Visa!

According to the various reports, more than 60% of the graduates start looking for a job soon after their graduation. But for an international student, the situation gets a bit trickier due to the visa and immigration factors. How to get a working visa for the USA is one of the significant interests for students who want to stay back and work after graduation.  

The US visa and immigration law is complex and ever-changing.  Most of the students convert their internships into US job offer.  

F-1 Work Visa:

Can you work part-time with a student visa is a genuine concern of international students given the fact that the fee and living cost can add up to USD 50000-60000 per year. With your F1 permit, you are allowed to work 20 hours a week on-campus and up to 40 hours a week off-campus. It not only helps with your expenses but can be of great benefit for applying in OPT programs.

  • CPT Program: An F-1 student can avail US work rights via a training program called Curricular Practical Training (CPT). It supports your learning program and gets your course credits.
  • OPT Program: An F-1 student who has completed at least one academic year is directly eligible to appear for the Optional Practical Training program (OPT) which allows you to get an extension by 12 months to your current F-1 visa status.
  • STEM OPT Extension: STEM OPT extension allows students with science, technology, engineering, or math degrees to apply for a 24 months extension to their F1 visa. However, you must submit your extension application 90 days before or earlier but not later than the end period of your OPT program.

H1B work visa:

It is the most common type of employer-sponsored work visa. 85000 H1B permits are issued every year. An H1B visa is awarded by US lottery for the specialized occupation like in science, medicine, engineering, data analytics, and accounting. The validity of this visa is 3-6 years but needs the approval from the US department of labor.

E1 or E2 visa:

E1 or E2 visa is an option for those who failed to get an H1B permit. But for an E1 treaty trader or E2 treaty investor visa, your home country must be listed in “treaty nations”. You need to apply from your home country, and employer needs to file the I-129 form. You must demonstrate that you would make a permanent investment in a US-based firm. If you already professional experience, and seek a transfer in the US, your employer can apply for L1 transfer visa on our behalf.

However, getting a job right after graduation isn’t a cakewalk. Other than corporate giants, no companies prefer to hire international students due to the visa and immigration hassle. So, you need to build contacts and use them wisely.

Apply for Master’s or PhD Program

Pursuing higher education is the safest and wisest option for a student after graduation. Doing masters in your chosen line of study will help you improve your in-depth understanding of the subject and lay a strong emphasis on developing skills.

For instance, if you are a commerce graduate, MBA is the hottest option available that helps to open a wide array of opportunities in the corporate sectors. However, don’t get swayed by the pompous glamour, fat paycheck, and organizational success. It is a gruelling course, so be sure you are ambitious and passionate about getting this degree to climb up the corporate ladder. Degrees like MBA, MS, MiM are in trend and allow you to kick start your career right after your graduation.

The USA is hugely popular for its masters and PhD studies. Doctoral programs are lengthy, tedious, and expensive. In the US, it can take up to 8 to 10 years, but if you have a master’s degree and studying full time, you can complete the course in 5 to 6 years. The course cost ranges from $27000-$42000 dollars.

Funding and stipend vary from institution to institution. You can avail for The Fulbright Program, cancer prevention fellowships, International merit scholarships, and more for funding your program. However, make sure that your institution is of good reputation, and your research topic isn’t redundant.

Pack Your Bags as It’s Time to Go Home

When you go to foreign land studies, most people warn of the cultural shock as you need to adjust to a couple of factors. But what they might have missed telling is about the “reverse culture shock”. When you return home, you are likely to feel disoriented. Extreme jet lags, a stagnant lifestyle, nosey relatives, and homesickness for your US friends, college, and lifestyle.

It tough to adjust with the time zones and requires at least a week to get settled. To deal with this, sleep whenever you feel the need for it and stay active when you are awake. With time, your body will get the hang of things.

  • Dealing with the stagnant life:

It is a common human trait to imagine changes in your home country. However, coming back to a stagnant lifestyle can be underwhelming. Keep yourself busy and avoid contemplating things. Don’t get disheartened with people’s comments. Stay in touch with your US friends to avoid feeling isolated.

Until and unless you have passed from an elite university in the US such as Harvard, Yale, or Princeton, the employers in your country won’t value your degree if you are not skilled enough. It is vital to have special skills in your field of study. Once you prove to your employer that your skills can add value to their company, nothing can stop you from receiving a colossal pay offer.

Need Expert Help To Pursue Your Career Abroad?

MyAssignmenthelp.com Is Your Savior  

Pursuing an education in foreign land sounds exciting and daunting at the same time.  How to get a work permit in the USA is not the only worrisome factor for an international student. There are fundamental parameters that you must fulfil to get enrolled in a course in the US. From academic assistance to nailing the interview round of an American corporate firm, the professional at MyAssignmenthelp.com can provide with extensive guidance.

Over the last decade, we have dealt with thousands of international students who have pursued a career in the States and assisted them in making it to the dream college/university. Along with our overall academic support in 100+ disciplines in all study levels, there are some additional perks of availing our services:

  • 5000+ academic experts to guide you with all types of assignments
  • FREE and unlimited access to the sample repository
  • Jaw-dropping prices on educational writing services
  • 24*7 instant online customer service all round the year
  • 100% original work based on in-depth research work by our research team
  • Largest pool of dissertation and research paper writers on the internet
  • Guaranteed ON-TIME delivery of solutions; even with stringent deadlines
  • Safe and secured mode of monetary transaction and no hidden cost

Don’t hesitate from availing world-class academic services from one of the best in the international education industry. Contact us now!

Was this article helpful?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *