Sometimes, during your nursing program you will be required to write various essays and research papers. Such assignments are as important as your practical studies. You may be assigned a particular topic or asked to pick the topic on your own. To write a good nursing essay you will need to find a topic that you know well or a topic you are passionate to know more about.
How do you choose a topic for a nursing essay? If you have no single idea of what to write about, look through the topics you have already passed in your textbooks. Then you can move to the recommended literature and browse the internet. Make a list of the most suitable and interesting topics and make preliminary research to determine the availability of information for the future essay.
- Define the intended audience. Usually it is your teacher or lecturer.
- Highlight the most suitable topics for your essay. It can be a topic you are good at or a totally new topic that you want to explore.
- Think about what you are going to focus on. What exactly are you going to write about in your essay?
- Define why it is important to focus on this particular topic.
- Think about the best way of presenting information. It can be types of a particular event, analysis of data, comparison of two objects, etc.
If you still experience troubles with finding the right topic for a nursing essay, don’t worry! In this article we want to share with you some nursing essay topics that may become helpful for your essay.
Professional Nursing School Essay Topics
- Write about your favorite nurse practice setting. It may be certain hospitals or medical groups, urban areas, mental health clinics, college health centers, etc. Describe why you prefer it.
- Discuss the peculiarities of the work of a nurse in the Emergency Room (ER). Usually, ER nurses need to have quick reactions, great experience, and knowledge.
- Evaluate possible careers in nursing. Nurses may work in various fields of medicine, from critical care to perinatal nursing. Along with this, a nurse may become a paramedic, health visitor, health coach, midwife, etc.
- Compare your own professional and personal characteristics with the required qualities of a good nurse in a particular practice.
- Persuade the audience on whether theory is important in nursing. Focus on whether theory is beneficial or just a waste of time. Accompany your point of view with examples and references from authoritative sources.
- Describe the experience and lessons learned from practice in a particular medical institution. It may be in the form of a reflective essay where you can describe a particular event in your practice and analyze your actions and come up with conclusions.
- The role of nursing in the near future. Browse existing literature on this topic, analyze current medical inventions, and think how nursing practice will change in the next several years.
- What spheres of medical practice need more nursing staff? As the medical sphere is constantly growing. For example, you can discuss the problems in healthcare centers that assist the elderly.
- Explain the gender issues in nursing practice. Still, the majority of nursing staff (more than 80%) are women. Healthcare authorities do everything possible to encourage men to pursue nursing. Describe the reasons why men don’t choose nursing as their career. How can this be changed?
- Describe the role of teamwork in nursing. A healthcare institution is a complex entity. A nursing team consists of nurses of various qualifications, and to be able to provide optimal healthcare, every nurse should be a good team player.
General Essay Topics for Student Nurse
- Describe the use of telehealth nursing (Telemed). With this tool patients and doctors can communicate with each other with video calls. This technology allows patients to save time who have trouble getting to the medical center. Also, this is very useful for the emergency room, when a doctor needs urgent advice from a specialist.
- Describe how noise pollution affects the rest of the body. In this paper you can tell about noise pollution, analyze the existing information about noise pollution in your areas, and define how it influences the health of the citizens.
- Detail the process of establishing a non-profit nursing home. Here you can describe the steps you need to establish a nursing home considering federal and state laws.
- Analyze the peculiarities of care for dying patients. How should a nurse deal with death? The actions of the nurse and medical personnel usually are aimed at minimizing the distress of a dying patient and helping relatives with the emotions connected with losing a close relation.
Think of why medical errors occur. You can take several errors from real practice or reliable sources. How can these errors be prevented? How many errors occur in the hospital you work in?
- Describe the peculiarities of medical home services. How has it changed over the years? What can you say about patient-centered care?
- Think of how the public image of nursing can change in the future. Over the years, the image of the nurse has changed dramatically. Today, it is one of the most honest and ethical professions, and we believe it will only evolve in the near future.
- Analyze the problems in gerontological nursing. For example, one of the most common problems is elder abuse. Many older adults are under care in nursing homes and other assisting living facilities. Browse the existing literature on the chosen topic and support your point of view with evidence.
- Describe the peculiarities of nursing care with cancer. Oncology nurses take great part in patient assessment, patient education, coordination of care, direct patient care, symptom management, and support both for patients and their families.
- Define the meaning of cultural competence in nursing practice. Nurses closely work with patients, which is why it is important to provide equally qualitative care for patients of any ethnicity and country. Cultural competence is one of the signs of high standards in nursing.
Interesting Essay Topics for Nursing Students
- Discuss one of the roles of a nurse: caregiver, advocate, critical thinker, teacher, communicator, manager, researcher, etc. Think how the role affects the future career of nurses and their families.
- Define the need for nursing bioterrorism preparedness. Every nurse should be prepared to recognize and respond to a bioterrorism attack. What exercises and education should nurses pass to get a minimum level of preparedness for a bioterrorism attack? Why is it so important?
- Analyze nursing management in a particular healthcare unit. Describe quality program goals and objectives in a particular hospital. What input does nursing staff have in quality improvement projects? Analyze the effectiveness of qualitative methodology and techniques used in a particular facility.
- Compare and contrast paper records and electronic records for patients. Electronic records give doctors a wide range of benefits: better organization of documents, the possibility of fast exchange of medical records, and easy accessibility. Also, electronic documentation is better for the environment. What other benefits can you list?
- Analyze the importance of mindfulness in decreasing stress rates and burnout in nursing staff. What mindfulness training is the most effective among nurses? What benefits does mindfulness training have?
- Define the role of the nurse in pain management. Pain is a critical concept in nursing. Persons that experience pain from injury, disease (chronic or acute), toothache, phantom pain, and other causes need to be addressed. Pain relief and correct identification is the main task of the nurse.
- Describe the role of emotional intelligence in the career of a nurse. Emotional intelligence is a complex term. It is the person’s potential to feel, understand, manage, describe, and explain emotions. The level of nurses’ emotional intelligence directly influences the hospital service level.
- Analyze possible ways of overcoming bullying among nursing staff. Nursing staff often become the subject of physical violence and bullying in the workplace. How can destructive behavior be eliminated?
- Describe the effect of nursing on fetal development. Prenatal care is the best way to promote the health of an unborn child. The right prenatal care helps mothers manage their health during pregnancy and promote a positive gestation outcome.
- Find out the reasons for substance abuse among nurses and ways of its prevention. As the work of a nurse is connected with high stress rates, accessibility of drugs increases the temptation to use it.
- Explore ethical dilemmas in nursing practice. Ethical dilemmas often arise in nursing practice: strategies for pain management, end-of-life issues, conflicts with doctors and family members, etc. How can nurses successfully solve ethical dilemmas at the workplace?
Use EssayShark to Get Your Nursing Essays Done
Hopefully, our nursing essay topics will inspire you to write a great paper. If you experience some troubles with writing the essay, don’t hesitate to ask EssayShark for help. Our experienced writers will create a professionally written paper according to your requirements in the tightest time possible. All you need is to fill in the order form, fully describe your assignment to the writer, and get a finished paper by the identified time. Our service is available 24/7 for your convenience.
Photo by Alexas_Fotos from Pixabay
Topic suggestion tool
Instantly find great topics for your essay