When we recall the most crucial issues of the modern world, we think of global warming, wars, hunger, environmental pollution, and many other problems. But we never associate modern society with slavery. Unfortunately, we still should. It’s not as bad as it used to be. However, this horrifying form of inhumanity still exists. We’ve decided to follow the rule “know your enemy.”
Below, you’ll find an impressive list of research paper topics on slavery. We’ve also placed here a few links to our samples on slavery topics. Learn more about this global issue and get prepared for any type of debate on the topic!
Argumentative Topics About Slavery
- Does slavery still exist?
- Is racial inequality in the criminal justice system inherited from slavery?
- Why is slavery immoral?
- Was the impact of slavery on women of color different from the impact on men?
- Did slavery have any positive effects? Exemplify your answer.
- Why were peaceful means against slavery ineffective?
- Why did slavery as a massive phenomenon last so long?
- What type of rehabilitation for ex-slaves should exist?
- Can addictions be considered a form of slavery?
- Was slavery inevitable after all?
- Why are discussions about slavery important for modern students around the world?
- For whom was the idea of slavery the most beneficial when it appeared?
- What is the most destructive aspect of slavery?
- Is slavery the most essential reason for racism in American society?
- Reparations for slavery: are they possible?
Compare and Contract Slavery Topics
- Compare and contrast bullying and slavery.
- Compare and contrast slavery in Cuba and in the USA.
- Compare and contrast serfdom in Russia and slavery in the Americas.
- Compare and contrast the economic gain for the USA from the African American sharecropping system and the bracero program.
- Compare and contrast the Dutch form of slavery and those of other places in Europe.
- Compare and contrast “de facto” and “de jure” slavery in the 17th century.
- What were the main differences between indentured servants and slaves?
- Differences and similarities between American and Middle Eastern slavery systems.
- Compare and contrast the representation of slavery in English and American literature.
- Compare and contrast the participation of white and black women in the feminist movement in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Definition Research Paper Topics on Slavery
- Define the term “abolitionism.”
- Define the term “genocide slavery.”
- Define the term “sex trafficking.”
- Define the term “psychological slavery.”
- Define the term “slave narrative.”
Topics About Slavery in Art and Literature
- Why does the slave narrative “Behind the Scenes: Or, Thirty Years a Slave and Four Years in the White House” by Elizabeth Hobbs Keckley have great historical value?
- Why was the novel “Clotel” by William Wells Brown important for the abolitionist movement?
- How did the novel “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” by Harriet Beecher Stowe help to make public the issue of slavery?
- The arguments against individual freedom in the novel “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley.
- What struggles of female slaves are shown in the autobiography “Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl” by Harriet Jacobs?
- In the slave narrative “In My Bondage and My Freedom,” Frederick Douglass states that slavery makes victims out of everyone: slaves, slavers, and non-slave holding whites. Do you agree or disagree? Defend your viewpoint.
- Does the movie “Spartacus” (1960) portray a slave revolt accurately?
- The issue of slavery in the novel “Invention of Wings” by Sue Monk Kidd.
- Pro-slavery arguments in the book “Defending Slavery” by Paul Finkelman.
- Antislavery motives in the novel “Oroonoko” by Aphra Behn.
- What forms of slavery does Margaret Atwood depict in her dystopian novel “The Handmaid’s Tale”?
- Religious worldview on slavery in works by Julia Ward Howe.
- The quest for freedom in the movie “Twelve Years a Slave.”
- Can marriage in the 19th century be suggested as a form of slavery taking into consideration female portrayal in literature?
- Is the movie “Free State of Jones” directed by Gary Ross historically accurate?
Research Paper Topics on Slavery in World History
- Domestic slavery in Medieval Florence.
- The history of slavery in Latin America.
- Was the policy of colonialism the main reason for slavery?
- The impact of the Haitian Revolution on slavery in the Caribbean.
- What were Aristotle’s beliefs regarding slavery?
- What was the social structure in Ancient Egypt? What role did slaves play in its society?
- How was the women’s rights movement related to the antislavery movement in the 19th century?
- What factors caused the development of indentured servitude?
- The role of the Atlantic slave trade in the world economy.
- The evolution of slavery from inception to abolition.
- Why was slavery considered normal in Ancient Greece?
- Was the formation of the Roman Empire possible without slavery?
- What was the most effective form of slave resistance in history? Why?
- Did the ideas of the Enlightenment confront slavery?
- What was Adam Smith’s view on slavery and how did he represent it in his works?
Topics About Slavery in US History
- What was Lincoln’s policy toward slavery?
- American politics on slavery in the 19th century.
- How did slavery affect the modern labor politics in the USA?
- Why was the attitude toward slavery different in the northern and in the southern states?
- Mason’s and Dixon’s line as a boundary between the North and the South.
- Is American capitalism rooted in slavery?
- How did slavery form the political landscape in the USA before the Civil War?
- Was the conflict over slavery the only reason for the Civil War?
- What arguments were used by the Confederates to defend slavery?
- What role did slaveholders play in the Texas Revolution?
- Why was the passage on slavery deleted from the Declaration of Independence?
- Why was slavery more important for agricultural regions than for industrial regions?
- The Dred Scott decision and its influence on the beginning of the Civil War.
- How did the Civil War end up with the abolition of slavery?
- What Bible passages did the southerners use to justify slavery?
- Did slaves help the North to win the Civil War?
- What problems did former slaves face after the Civil War? How did Congress help them to solve those problems?
- What was the connection between the enslavement of the indigenous population and African slavery in the Americas?
- How did slavery influence the formation of jazz?
- The British government at the end of the 18th century was both seen as a liberator by African Americans and as a potential enslaver by white Americans. What was the reason for such a difference in their beliefs?
- How did Lincoln’s election affect slavery in the USA?
- What were the main goals of the Abolitionist movement?
- Will legalizing prostitution reduce sex slavery in the USA?
- Why did the slavery system last even after the American industrial revolution?
- Why did white families in the South defend slavery even though not all of them had slaves?
Topics About Slavery Today
- Nigeria’s policy toward slavery and human trafficking.
- Why does slavery still exist in modern society?
- Why is stopping modern-day human trafficking difficult?
- What agricultural crop is connected with slavery the most?
- What aspects of slavery are different for men and women?
- Does child slavery in China exist?
- The issue of sex slavery in Ghana.
- Can slavery be beneficial in some modern countries? Why or why not?
- How do GCC countries fight slavery now?
- What are the modern forms of slavery?
Paper Samples on Slavery
As we’ve promised, there are two samples on slavery topics from our writers:
What was the role of slavery and slave rebellions in Jamaica’s past?
Type of paper:
Essay (any type)
We hope that our list of research paper topics on slavery along with these samples will help you with composing your piece of writing on this topic. Anyway, if you don’t have enough time for your paper, EssayShark.com is always here. You pick the topic – we will provide you with high-quality academic assistance. We’re available 24/7! Forget about your deadlines and apply to us!
Photo by PublicDomainPictures from Pixabay
Topic suggestion tool
Instantly find great topics for your essay